Monday, April 27, 2015

The Good Life . . . with a smart closet!

We all love a walk in closet until we find ourselves knee deep in clothes with nothing to wear. I admire minimalism and simplicity and want to be more disciplined about this lifestyle, especially with my wardrobe. It is challenging when we are surrounded by a materialistic culture, but I’m speaking for myself when I say that I feel a lot more at ease and at peace when there is less materialistic items to deal with in my life.


 I came across a really helpful post the other day called “How to Shop Like a Minimalist – 12 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying.”
It’s a great guide to change your mindset before deciding to buy clothes. It’s also helpful for those who struggle with uncluttering. Here are the 12 Questions to ask yourself:
    1. Would I really buy this if it wasn’t on sale?
    2. Am I trying to justify this purchase because I think it will motivate me to do something? 
    3. Is this something I will end up annoyed at when I’ve used it for a bit? 
    4. Do I feel compelled to get this largely because it’s a “good” brand? 
    5. Would I be getting this just because I’m trying to fill a quota? 
    6. Does this item really work well with what I have? 
    7. Would this purchase be for a hypothetical situation or potential future life? 
    8. Would this item be higher-maintenance than is worth the bother? 
    9. Does this really make sense or do I have to rationalize it? 
   10. Am I filling a gap or making a pile? 
   11. Is this really me, or is it someone else on Pinterest? 
   12. Do I really, really like this, or am I trying to convince myself I like it for various “logical” reasons? 
The full descriptions of these 12 questions can be found here.

There’s nothing wrong with buying clothes for yourself, especially if they are a necessity. It’s when excessive consumerism takes ahold of you and you’re swimming in a huge closet with nothing to wear. Sometimes simplicity is best. Sometimes that’s all The Good Life is about. Simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment