Monday, March 23, 2015

The Good Life . . . with a Type A personality

In the end, our health is the most important thing we’ll have.

The last couple of weeks have been hard due to some health issues of a close family member. Visiting a family member like this is never easy but it always makes me aware of how crucial my health is and how much more mindful I need to be about the decisions I make. It reminds me to take care of myself and start thinking of self-care more as a health benefit rather than an afterthought. Many people have Type A personalities (including myself) that come with qualities of being impatient, competitive, highly conscientious, achievement oriented and sleep deprived.
What can this do to a person? A lot of “unhealthy” things actually (Scott).
     · Hypertension (high blood pressure) 
     · Heart Disease 
     · Job Stress 
     · Social Isolation 
     · Premature aging 
     · Teeth Grinding 
       And much more . . .

How can we learn to live The Good Life with these characteristics? Here’s an idea: Minimize. The research is out there, but it’s the believability and the execution we must do to make it beneficial in the long run!
Take a look at the statistics of how clutter affects a person:

http://www.becomingminimalist.com/the-statistics-of-clutter/


You can’t take anything with you when we leave this earth so start owning less and living more.
Here’s why I have started the minimalist journey:
1) I spend less money
2) Moving is easier – I’m a professional mover by now
3) It’s visually appealing – less stuff = an airy feel (not so weight down by possessions)
4) I’m more productive – possessions can rule your time
5) Easier to clean
6) More freedom
7) I can invest in meaningful things

The Good Life can be attained by any personality trait. Either way, make sure your lifestyle leads to a healthy one. If minimizing is part of that journey, then lace up them Nike’s and start yours!

- - -
Scott, M. (n.d.). Type A Personality Traits, Characteristics and Effects. Retrieved March 22, 2015, from http://stress.about.com/od/understandingstress/a/type_a_person.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment